Thursday, October 8, 2009

Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

I find it disgusting that millions of Black women chemically straighten their hair religiously. I used to do it because I was always told that long/straight hair=beautiful. Sometimes I would never go outside the house if my newgrowth was showing. My hair used to be down to my back and it was long and straight always.The thing that bothered me is that when i had relaxed and long hair. Boys would always touch and stuff. My hair was badly damaged and I wanted to cut it off because I was tired of straightneing it. Why countine to change something that's impossible to do?? So I keep cutting my hair every 1 or two until all of my relaxed hair was gone. Now I'm natural and my hair is still short it's been a year now and it's grown out a little. The thing that bothers me is that, people, are always teasing me about my hair saying it's nappy and that I should have keep it longer. And I had put my hair in twists and kids Black kids, said that I looked like an African person from the discovery



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

"Why does this good and bad hair hierachy still exsist in the Black community?" because of the Willie Lynch paper. search online "Willie Lynch paper" and the problems in the black community will be so obvious.



ive never had a perm, but i do press my hair with a hot comb. i dont wear my hair straight to assimilate with white people, i could care less what they think. every now and then ill braid my hair when i get tired of the press. i had the same problems in school as you did, praisal by other races and not my own. the black girls hated me because my hair was longer than theirs and it wasnt a perm, on the other hand, the black boys praised me for my hair. i like how my hair looks after i wash it, but i think it should be shorter to be worn that way, my hair is neck length by the way. i also have to find the right hair ointment so my hair doesnt dry out too much if i wear it natural.



what i love about our hair is that it is so versatile. it can be worn straight, curled, crimped, braided, twisted, dreded, and natural with our tight curls (i dont call our hair nappy it gives us a complex). just be you and wear your hair however you want. not all black men are the same and in the future one will come along and love you, not for your hair, but for who you are. stay positive my sista!



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Ok, I'm going to answer this with a question. While I feel you, you do know that you're opening the floor to racist abuse with this question, right?



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

i don't to much like perms either, it's really hard on black hair,



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

I say continue what you are doing and soon I will join you; it's so sad to see black females particularly younger ones that have disappearing hair lines and a "beedy beeds" forest in the back (LOL). I have seen this with older black females as well.



At this point in my life it is not worth it to me; I want to be the way Mother Nature intented me to be



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Black hair is beautiful natural and straightened , just like white peoples hair can be curly or straightened. Beautiful all ways.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

While I do straighten my hair, with a flat iron, I think that some of us are just plain ignorant. Some of us listen to what hollywood thinks is beautiful, i.e long, straight hair. It's crazy that people of other races don't have a problem with our hair but some of us do.



Btw, I would never perm my hair if it was kinky enough for me to do so. My mom had a really bad experience with a perm and now she wears her hair natural.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

You are not every black woman on earth, so if you want to cut your hair and keep it short, then fine. Do so.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Ayita, don't worry about what people say. What you do with your hair is your business. If you like it, it shouldn't matter what jealous/ignorant people say. I used to wear my hair natural and in braids and my mom used to straighten it with a hot comb. But in the 9th grade I started getting it chemically relaxed with a kiddy "perm". I don't see anything disgusting about it, that's just my preference to straighten my hair that way.



And actually its not just African-Americans assimilating. Caucasians get curly perms to have curly hair and tan to have darker skin.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Just because some black women straighten their hair doesn't mean they all want to be white. It's a personal choice. And anyone that treats you differently because of your hair texture is immature and practicing a form of Self-hatred. Do what makes you feel good and ignore stupid people.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

i am definately giving you thumbs up for keeping it natural!!!



:-)



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Well what I or any other woman does with their/my hair is really none of your business. Why you find it disgusting is your problem. I'm sorry that people tease you about your hair %26amp; features, however what does that have to do with the rest of the populous? I love my hair relaxed, well it never goes straight like I'm sure yours does when it's relaxed, it stays curly until I straighten it with a flat iron or a wash %26amp; set. Then it will stay straight for about a week because I like to wash it once or twice a week. For me this is easy because when I want it curly, I wear it curly, when I want it straight I wear it straight. I think the wonderful thing about black hair is we can do so many things to it. I truly am sorry for the harrasment that you are facing however, that has no hold on me am I'm sure any other sista who decides to wear their hair relaxed. The problem doesn't seem to be that you hate that we relax our hair, it's that you are being harrased for not relaxing yours.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

As if we don't have enough people bashing black people on here already. If they want to straighten out their hair and put perms then why not. Everybody doesn't look right rocking the natural look. I wear my hair the way I am more comfortable with it. Not because of what everybody else thinks. Do you and stop worrying about everybody else.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Pay it no never mind.



It's a part of the self hate we have developed.



We ,or some of us,hate ourselves so much that we hate anything that is black.



Dark skin,kinky hair,you name it.



it's also why there is so much Black on Black crime.



(Although I don't believe all the deaths of young black men reported as "gang shootings" are actually gang shootings.)



So we got racist cops,self hating cops and self hating young men gunning down other black men.



It's open season and we black men are an endangered species..



Wear your hair with pleasure and pride.



YOU GO GURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

I just want to comment on what you said that people tell you no man would want to marry you.



That is not true, I know many black women with natural short hair that are happily married.



And there's nothing wrong about being an African, people make it seem like its bad and use it as an insult.



thumbs up



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

Okay, that was your reason and experience with your hair, not every black woman feels that way. Black women chemically straighten their hair for many of reasons because it is easy to manage on a daily basis and can hold a variety of styles. Besides, not just black women chemically straighten their hair. What other women decide to do with their hair is their business not yours, you may find it disgusting but that is not the case. It is just hair, it is meant to be used as a style of your personal expression. No, long/straight hair doesn't equal beautiful but to some people it does. Personally, I like my hair curly. Weather it is chemically straighten or natural it is ALL beautiful, just do you and not worry about anybody else.



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

i don't think that perming your hair is bad, because it is still your hair and it is easier to style it when it is straight and thinner. many women have thicker or just plain curly hair and it is much easier for them to just straighten it. and i see nothing wrong w/ that. i straighten my hair because it makes it easier to do things w/, because when it is curly i can just put it in a ponytail or wear it done, but it is harder to do different styles to it. but i don't think that you look like an african person and even if you did it doesn't matter sense most of your ancestors came from there anyway, and there is nothing wrong w/ being natural, but there also is nothing wrong w/ straightening either. but you don't look bad, you shoudl just ignore the haters



Assimilation and Hair Texture in the Black Community???

This is too long for me to read, and in the end, it really has no point to it, so what are u asking about, again?? i am Hispanic and i relax my hair sometimes, there's nothing wrong with doing that, maybe u should consider doing the same if ur tired of ppl tellin u that uir hair is nappy and ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment